Saturday, January 31, 2015

Cleaning Your Menstrual Cup

Have you considered trying a menstrual cup but became deterred with the thought of how to clean it? It's as simple as sterilizing a baby's bottle.

There are several menstrual cups currently on the market but not all menstrual cups are made equal.  Menstrual cups made from silicone can be cleaned with a mild soap and boiled for sterile cleaning.  

Instead Softcups are made from medicinal grade hypoallergenic polymeric material.   
photo credits: softcup.com


I am a frequent user of Instead Softcups.   Instead has two kinds of Softcups, the single use  disposable cup that has no need for cleaning and the reusable cup.   When you're done with the single use Softcup you simply toss it into the garbage.  The reusable cup is not to be boiled.  

I also own a Diva Cup which is made of silicone.  I normally clean my Diva Cup with what I clean my "Va Jay Jay", Summer's Eve feminine wash.  After each use I wash the Diva Cup and at the end of my TOTM! (menstrual cycle)  I not only wash the Diva Cup but I then boil it for 5-10 minutes in a pot (that is exclusively used for my Diva Cup), air dry and store it for the next time I will use it.
photo credit: lizsquared.com

I was inspired to write this post by Jill of All Trades.  She wrote a blog post How To Clean Your Menstrual Cup and uses vinegar.  I've never thought to use vinegar when cleaning my Diva Cup but I may try it.  
Check out more of Jill of All Trades on Twitter @JillDeTrabajos

How do you clean your menstrual cup?  We'd like to know.  Leave me a comment below and be sure to follow me on Twitter @valcarey 

Until then....
"May every TOTM! be a So Happy one!"


Valarie Carey is the founder of TOTM! Time Of The Month!, author of the TOTM! Period Planner series as well as the premiere Period Coach, and Host of TOTM! Tea Talk on Blogtalk Radio.
for more on Valarie Carey follow her on twitter @valcarey or check out www.valcarey.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join In On My TOTM! Time Of The Month! Conversation.